All disability benefits increase in April, including PIP and ESA

ANYONE with an illness or disability who applies for benefits can expect to receive higher payments from next month.

Benefit rates will increase by 3.1% in April, including the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Carer’s Allowance.


Benefit payments rise for millions of claimants in AprilCredit: Getty

Thousands of Britons are thought to lack help designed to support you if you have a long-term health condition or disability.

So if you’re not claiming already, it’s worth checking to see if you qualify.

And if you already are, make sure you don’t miss any other help you might be entitled to.

You can check using an online benefits calculator, offered by charities such as Turn2Us and EntitledTo.

Thousands of underpaid Britons could get a payout - are you indebted?
Half a million Britons are missing out on Universal Credit worth £100 - are you?

Anyone with five major sick or disabled benefits will see the amount they receive increase in April, including:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Carer’s allowance
  • Attendance allowance
  • Employment support allowance (ESA)

But the 3.1% rise is lower than the current inflation rate of 5.5%, which could reach 8% this year.

So while payments are going up, prices are going up faster and that means more of your income will have to be spent on bills and food, which could make you worse off.

If you’re struggling with bills, you can get additional help – check it out here.

Disabled allowance

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people with disabilities.

You can only apply for DLA if you are under 16 or if an adult can apply on behalf of a child.

The amount they can get depends on their difficulties and the help they need.

Seniors whose DLA claim has not been completed may see their payments increased.

Here’s how much rates increase from April:

  • The highest amount will increase from £89.60 to £92.40
  • Average amount £60.00 to £61.85
  • Lowest amount of £23.70 at £24.45

And for the mobility component:

  • £62.55 higher amount than £64.50
  • £23.70 lower amount than £24.45

In Scotland, DLA has been replaced by Child Disability Payment.

You can find out more about the DLA for children on and apply if you think you might be eligible.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment, or PIP for short, is for people with a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability that makes it difficult to perform daily tasks or travel.

You can get PIP even if you are working, have savings or are receiving most other benefits, if you have not reached statutory retirement age.

There are two main components to PIP, a daily life part if you need help with daily tasks and a mobility part if you need help getting around.

If you are eligible for the daily living part, you will get either the low rate of £60 per week or the higher rate of £89.60.

Payments for the daily living component will increase from these amounts to £61.85 and £92.40 respectively.

The mobility element is £27.30 per week for the lower fare, or £62.55 for the higher fare.

These rates will also increase to £24.45 and £64.50 respectively.

If you are eligible for the Personal Independence Payment, you may be able to access additional support and additional benefits, such as a disability allowance which is on top of other benefits, such as housing allowance.

You can see what other top-ups you can get here in our guide and find out how to apply for PIP online at

Care allowance

Care allowance is for anyone who has family responsibilities for at least 35 hours a week, regardless of age.

This is worth up to £67.60 per week and it will increase to £69.70 per week.

As a carer, you do not have to be related to or live with the person you are caring for, but they will need to receive certain benefits, such as the daily living component of the personal independent payment or the subsistence for people with disabilities.

And your income must also be below £128 per week (£6,656 per year) after tax and national insurance.

It should be noted that carer’s allowance may affect other benefits you receive and that you have to pay tax on it if your income exceeds the personal allowance.

The easiest way to claim is online through the government website.

You can find out more about Carer’s Allowance and how to claim it in our guide.

Attendance allowance

Attendance allowance helps to cover additional costs if you have a disability or illness serious enough to require someone to look after you.

It is for those over the statutory retirement age (currently 66) and is paid at two different rates.

The amount you receive depends on the level of care you need because of your disability.

The highest rate will drop from £89.60 to £92.40, while the lowest rate will also drop from £60 to £61.85.

The amount of money you earn and the savings you have do not affect the amount you receive.

You can apply for attendance allowance online via

Employment and Support Allowance

If you have a disability or health condition that affects your income, or if you can earn at all, you may be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Here are the main rates for ESA and how much more you’ll get from April:

  • Under 25, from £59.20 to £61.05
  • 25+, from £74.70 £77.00
  • Single parent under 18, £59.20 to £61.05
  • Single parent aged 18 or over, from £74.70 £77.00

There are also other rates for couples, disabled people or people with family responsibilities, and the amount depends on your situation.

To be eligible, you must have worked as an employee or self-employed in the past and have made sufficient national insurance contributions over the past two to three years.

It is also possible to apply for Universal Credit alongside ESA, but you cannot receive Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) at the same time.

Skies turn ORANGE and 'rain of blood' falls as Saharan dust cloud blankets Britain
Scary moment Russian TV discusses plans to invade Baltic states after Ukraine

You can make a claim if you have been on PHC for a while and it ends and you don’t feel well.

You can apply for ESA online on the government website.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

About Antoine L. Cassell

Check Also

Calls overwhelm disability benefits call centers | New

Christina Cedillo has a sticky note on her computer, reminding her which buttons to press …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.