People on PIP switching to the new disability benefit system may need to report the change to the DWP

Following the launch of Disability Payment for Adults in Dundee, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles in March, the next pilot areas to open for applications from new claimants will be in Angus, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire on June 20.

This will be followed by Fife, Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, Moray, North Ayrshire, East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire on July 25. If you live elsewhere in Scotland, you can re-apply from August 29.

The new disability payment will replace the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) this year for all new claimants living in Scotland and over 305,000 existing claimants.

The transfer of existing claimants from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) system to Social Security Scotland will begin on August 29.

However, the advice on explains that if you are in receipt of any other benefits or services linked to your Disability Award, you will need to inform each organization of the switch to Social Security Scotland.

You should contact your local council to let them know about the move if you get:

  • Housing allowance
  • Residence tax reduction
  • Exemption from housing tax

The guide also states that you should also contact the DWP to notify them of the move if you get:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income support
  • Pension credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

It states: “You can do this by reporting a change in circumstances on each benefit you get.”

You only need to contact HM Revenue and Customs if your Disability Benefit rate changed during the move and you get either:

  • Child tax credit
  • Work Tax Credit

Care allowance

If you are receiving Child Disability Payment and your carer is receiving Carer’s Allowance, you do not need to contact anyone.

The DWP will share this information with the care allowance unit.

If you are on Adult Disability Payment and your carer is on Carer’s Allowance, you should contact the Carer’s Allowance Unit.

You should let them know that your Disability Award has been transferred to Social Security Scotland, as this information will not be shared automatically.

You can contact the Carer’s Allowance Unit via GOV.UK, here.

To keep up to date with changes to the PIP, join our Money Saving Scotland Facebook group here, follow Record Money on Twitter hereor subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter here.

About Antoine L. Cassell

Check Also

Non-deployment as basis for total and permanent disability benefits

A seafarer, who was no longer reassigned to work, may be entitled to total and …