Tangedco will award compensation of ₹10 lakh and bear the cost of treating a boy for 15 years

Madurai Bench of Madras High Court has ordered Tangedco to pay compensation of ₹10 lakh to a boy who suffered severe burns after a transformer near his house exploded. The court also ordered the electric utility to cover the cost of his treatment and medication for the next 15 years.

The court was hearing the petition filed by the mother of Savari Anto Nishanth from Tirunelveli district, who suffered severe burns from electrocution in 2018. He was standing in the compound wall when the transformer exploded, inflicting severe burns on him. severe burns all over the body, except Face.

The doctors certified that the boy suffered from a 50% functional incapacity. However, in the counter-affidavit submitted to the court, Tangedco stated that the transformer was serviced periodically and that the conductor chatter was due to wear.

Judge GR Swaminathan observed that there was nothing in the file to show that the boy had invited the incident. He had suffered a disfigurement all over his body, except the face, and one could very well imagine the trauma. The boy was entitled to compensation of ₹10 lakh.

The judge said the boy would obviously have to undergo periodic treatment. He could get any treatment he might need at any of Tangedco’s network of hospitals. The cost of treatment and medication should only be borne by Tangedco for the next 15 years, the judge said.

About Antoine L. Cassell

Check Also

Posters emphasize the prevalence and need for prompt treatment of RVO

Posters presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology showed that patients …